How do I increase the speed of my Wireless Range Extender using wireless channels?
Wifi technology has improved greatly in the recent years but still slow wifi signal is the most common problem. There may be various reasons for slow internet connection, such as the way your router or extender is set up, interference caused by nearby devices etc. Generally users have their Google search bar filled with: “how to extend wifi range without losing speed?”
One of the common reasons for your poor Wi-Fi signal is because of interference caused by other devices. If you’ve ever messed around with your extender’s Wi-Fi settings, you’ve probably seen the word “Channel.”Since most home Wi-Fi networks send their signals in a narrow radio frequency range around 2.4 GHz, wireless signals get affected by the devices that share the same frequency channel.
Other electronics devices in your home such as cordless phones, baby monitors, and microwave ovens, along with the wireless networks of your neighbors may also use the same frequency that can easily interfere with the wireless home network, slowing down its performance adversely.
The best wifi extenders give you the option to change or select the wireless channel so that they can communicate on a different frequency to avoid interference. Wi-Fi extenders also help you to minimize a number of dead spots and have excellent connectivity at any place at your home. If you want to to know that what is the best wifi range extender then you can go through the link http://www.wicommfi.com/.
Let’s talk about 2.4GHz frequency band, because the majority of Wi-Fi installations still use the 2.4GHz band in some way.
How Wi-Fi Channels Work?
The 2.4 GHz frequency range is divided into a number of smaller bands or channels, similar to television channels. Mostly, Wi-Fi network devices provide a set of available channels to choose from. For example, when setting up a WLAN, you can select any of the Wi-Fi channels i.e. 1 through 11. Setting the proper channel number can help to avoid sources of wireless interference.
Which 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Channel Is Best?
In the 2.4 GHz band, 1, 6, and 11 are the only channels that have no frequency overlap with each other. Use one or more of these three channels, if you want maximum output and minimum interference. You can change your extender’s Wi-Fi channel by simply logging into your extender’s web interface using a web browser. Then you need to go to ‘Wi-Fi Settings’ and find the ‘Wi-Fi Channel’ option and then you can choose your new Wi-Fi channel.
The next question which might be coming in your mind would be how to select the right channel for usage. This article takes you through the methods to select the best channel and you can get answer to your query “how to extend wifi range without losing speed?”
How to Increase Wi-Fi speed by choosing right channel:
Let’s talk about the methods to increase the speed by selecting the best channel:
1. Android Wi-Fi Analyzer App: One of the best methods for selecting the most appropriate channel is the Android Wifi Analyzer App. You need to download or install the app from Google Play store on your Android phone; it will give you an overview of the Wi-Fi networks and the channels which they are using in your area. The Wi-Fi Analyzer App will also suggest the best Wi-Fi channel for your Wi-Fi home network. You can select the best channel by viewing the rating of Wi-Fi channels from the view menu and increase your extender’s Wi-Fi speed.
2. Linux iwlist Command: You can use Linux command to get more detailed wireless information from a wireless interface by launching the terminal and type the iwlist command i.e. Sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep \(Channel. After that you have to simply study the output and select the Wi-Fi channel which is the least crowded for best Wi-Fi performance.
3. MacOS X Wireless Diagnostics: You can use this method to scan your area for all of the Wi-Fi networks by using the Wireless Diagnostics Application.
- Firstly, hold the option key on your keyboard and click ‘Wi-Fi’ icon in your menu bar.
- Now, select “Open Wireless Diagnostics”.
- Next, click ‘Window’ icon on the menu and select ‘Utilities’
- Next select ‘Wi-Fi Scan’ option & click ‘Scan Now’. A list of best 2.4 GHz wireless channels automatically appears.
- Now you can select the best channel to increase the Wi-Fi speed.
Selecting the proper Wi-Fi channel of your extender can significantly improve your Wi-Fi coverage and performance.
WicommFi extender is one of the best devices and best wifi extender for gaming that works in three operational modes i.e. as a router, repeater as well as an access point. You can switch the mode and set it up as per your need. Its parental control can be setup with three features i.e. IP filtering, URL filtering and wireless schedule. It features with WPS setup, QR code easy setup and has Dual bands i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz with transmission speed up to 750 Mbps. You can get more details about WicommFi extender by accessing the website http://www.wicommfi.com/.