All you need to know about the WPS Technology
WPS which can be also termed as WiFi Protected Setup is a standard for the secure establishment of the wireless connection. WPS is designed to make the whole process of connection between two devices easy.
Basically, when we try to connect to a wireless network, we first have to search for it, then select it, and then enter the security key. This is the standard setup which most people usually follow to connect to a wireless network. With the introduction of WPS, you can connect to the wireless network without performing the above mentioned standard setup. WPS is designed to support various 802.11 wireless protocols ranging from WiFi range extenders, WiFi signal boosters, and wireless USB adapter sets. This article will make you go through the WPS technology and WPS enabled devices like WiFi range extender, WiFi signal booster, and wireless USB adapter set.
Advantages of WPS
In this section, we will learn about some of the advantages that WPS offers. We have mentioned those advantages below.
- WPS allows the wireless device to automatically configure the Network Name and Security Key. So you don’t need to know the Network Name (SSID) and the Security Key.
- As the security key is randomly generated so no one can even guess the security key of your wireless network.
- Information and wireless network credentials are securely exchanged wirelessly using Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP).
- WPS is supported by all wireless devices like WiFi range extender, WiFi signal booster, and wireless USB adapter set.
How to enable WPS
WPS can be enabled using 2 methods:
- PBC (Push Button Configuration) – This is the method in which a user simply needs to push a button on both the wireless devices. The user can push either a virtual button or real button on both WPS devices.
- PIN (Personal Identification Number) – This is the method in which a user find the PIN either from the wireless label on the device or by navigating to the web-interface of the device.
How to connect devices using WPS
In this section, we will mention the process of connecting a wireless router to WiFi range extender via WPS button. By doing this, your range extender will serve as a WiFi signal booster. Read the instructions carefully:
- Plug your WiFi range extender into the power outlet near your wireless router.
- Push the WPS button on your wireless router and then immediately push the WPS button on your WiFi range extender.
NOTE: You have the maximum of 2 minutes to push the WPS button on your WiFi range extender but we recommend you to push the WPS button as soon as possible after you push the button on your wireless router.
- This process will take almost 2 minutes to complete. After this, you WiFi range extender will be connected to the wireless router. Now your extender will serve as a WiFi signal booster.
- Once your WiFi range extender is configured with the wireless router, you won’t need to connect it every time. WPS system automatically connects your wireless devices whenever you plug them into the power outlet.
Where is the WPS button located?
Nowadays, almost all modems and routers come with default WPS. If we talk about the location of the physical WPS button on your wireless device, it is mostly on the back side. Most of the wireless routers have the WPS button on the back side. In the case of range extenders, the WPS button is on the bottom of the device. Wireless USB adapter set has the WPS button on the top.
As you can see from this article, WPS can make your life easier. WPS was introduced in the market in 2006 and it was designed by the WiFi Alliance as this organization owns the WiFi trademark. So in this article, we discussed the WPS technology and the devices that are configured with WPS technology such as WiFi range extender, WiFi signal booster, and wireless USB adapter set. If we talk about the best company producing WPS enabled WiFi devices, it is WicommFi. All WiFi devices that are designed by WicommFi come with the WPS technology. This makes the user easily set up their wireless devices. WicommFi devices that are enabled with WPS technology eliminate the hassle from the installation process. We hope this article helped you to accumulate the information about the WPS technology.